Slick Water Rusty Spinner
Tier: Rob McLean
Hook: TMC 100.
Thread: Brown 8/0.
Body: McLean's Rust Quill Body or McLean's Mottled Quill.
Tail: Olive Dun or Rust Super Tail.
Thorax: Rusty Spinner Velveteen Dry Fly Dubbing.
Wing: Light Dun McLean's Bar Dyed Turkey Flats.
- Wrap thread base 2/3 of the shank leaving tail mounting area bare.
- Bring thread back up towards the eye stopping 2/3 up the hook from the bend.
- Apply a drop of lacquer to thread base.
- Tie in small clump of turkey flat tips pointing toward the eye.
- Divide and post turkey into spent wings.
- Wrap thread to back of the hook slightly down the bend.
- Build small button of thread and take two fibers of super tail laying them on top of shank.
- Pass thread directly in front of the thread button over tail fibers erecting and splaying tail.
- Tie in quill body by the tapered end.
- Build thread taper to the butts of the turkey flats.
- Apply a drop of lacquer on thread foundation.
- Wrap quill to form body tying off just behind butts of turkey.
- Apply another drop of lacquer on body.
- Dub slim noodle and cover wing junction with figure 8 wraps.
- Whip finish and lacquer head.